Thursday, October 20, 2005

Q: What is the Guy that wrote Coding Slave going to do next?

A: Go to Hollywood

In last week's episode I was fired from a coding gig. I did the obligatory shock, sadness and fretting and blogged hard on the topic. Seems that whenever I blog hard on something, friends and fairies gather 'round. The readership was pretty unanimous in their response: “Don't worry, you're the guy that wrote Coding Slave. You'll be fine.”

Gotta have friends and fairies.

So, I took the week to pretend that I was sitting on top of the world. I slept until it was time to get up, no alarm necessary, sat in the sun and drank caffeinated beverages. Also, since I haven't read a thing that was not attached to a piece of code in close to a year, I decided to read a book. I am reading Scott Peck's The Road Less Traveled.

It's a book about love, psychoanalysis and psychotherapy. I figured that recently my psyche had been taking a beating, mostly self-inflicted, so a little new information couldn't hurt. Peck goes over a lot of things and for the most part I like what he writes. Today I read about grace. ( Not George Burns' wife). Peck's position is that that just about all of us have had bad childhood experiences and that many people have had some atrocious experiences, yet for the most part we grow up, don't become ax murders and learn to live through things. According to Peck, what's weird is not that there are neurotic people in the world, but that there are not more neurotic people in the world. And to this end, Peck chalks it up to grace.

There just seems to something out there that helps most of us get through things for the best.

Today before I made my way up to Whole Foods to buy some coffee, sit in the sun and read, I made a call to some people in Hollywood who had wanted me to do some work for them about a year ago. They called me back in about an hour. Turns out that there was work to be done and they wanted me to do it.

So tomorrow the Guy that wrote Coding Slave is going to Hollywood to code... for two months, anyway.



1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's the edge of the world
And all of western civilization
The sun may rise in the East
At least it settles in the final location
It's understood that Hollywood
sells Californication

6:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home