Sunday, March 04, 2007

Q: Where have you been?

A: I've been everywhere.

Up until the end of the 2006 I was busy being a Software Executive sort of guy. The land of a Software Executive is very political. It's all about the organization and distribution of power. One of the Key Indicators of Success is who likes you. Talent and the ability to produce required results other than getting identified parties to like you is of secondary importance sometimes. (Just look at what Rudy Giuliani is going through.)

Some parties liked me and some parties did not. My employers liked me, but... well... let's say that an Executive without a staff to execute is sort of meaningless. So I moved on. (It's a long story. Write me if you want to know the details.)

I have decided to spend some time being lost in code, which I am, and work on becoming a better software developer as well as a better human being. I am hanging out with some talented developers at the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences and slinging code that makes business objects in all shapes, sizes and dependencies.

That making software is very much like playing the piano, you have to keep doing it to keep your chops up. And, you have to take on challenging pieces to improve your playing. Both of these needs are being met in my present circumstance.

So I am hanging around Rocky code, reminding myself of the intricacies and foibles of the .NET CLR and embracing Test Driven Development.

Life is good.

I d do have more to say. But, it's a beautiful day in Southern California and I have always been one to take advantage of the opportunities that come my way. So we'll talk again real soon.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home