Friday, January 06, 2006

Q: Can you debug VS2003 and VS2005 apps side by side.

A: Not on Bobby's machine.

(This is a hardcore tech post. Buyer beware!)

So I got my spiffy new VS 2005 and installed it on baited breath. I had asked a few people if they had had any problem running VS2005 along side VS 20003 on the same machine. No problems reported. Thus, I felt completely comfortable not removing the existing installation of VS 2003 on my machine.

Well guess what?

You cannot (can not or can't, for all you Google searchers) debug existing VS 2003 projects after you install VS 2005, at least not on my machine.

Boy, was I upset.

But, I had the privilege of having discussion with Paul Nguyen of Avanade. He told me how to fix the problem.

If you have installed VS 2005 on a machine with an existing copy of VS 2003, simply remove the existing installation of the .NET Framework 2.0, then re-install.

Also, make this entry in the web.config of the target assemby, after the <config .... /> sections.


<startup>

      <requiredRuntime version="v1.1.4322"/>

</startup>



Simple!

So I did and it did.

So to my friends in Redmond and in the NSA, please pay attention to this post. I mean, jeepers I spent at least 4 hours trying to solve this problem. Did everything the help files told me to do and still....

Thank you, Paul.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is just like Microsoft to have something like that. In the old days it was did you reboot your computer?

11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried as explained here but still the debug in VS2003 did't work for me.

5:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also had a similar problem. This helped however I took a slightly different approach. I started IIS and treed down in the web sites folder to the project. I opened the properties and hit the ASP.NET tab. I changed the ASP.NET version from 2.0.50727 to 1.1.4322. After the apply I was able to debug.
Thanks again.

7:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home