Saturday, April 02, 2005

Q: What sort of world do you want?

A: As follows ...

I want a world in which there are more people in the Peace Corp than in the Marine Corp.

I want a world in which the price of gas becomes so expensive that we all take to the streets and start walking to work.

I want a world in which nobody’s grandmother is homeless.

I want a world in which there is only one gang, and it's run by a kid named Spanky.

I want a world in which everyone wants J. Paul Getty’s wealth so that they can build more museums.

I want a world in which Bill Gates is a registered Democrat.

I want a world in which Pedro Martinez came up through the Red Sox farm system and would never consider playing anyplace but Fenway.

I want a world in which people go to school to get smart and to spend time with others who are different.

I want a world in which Ronald Reagan won an Oscar, became a studio mogul and left the Presidency of the United States to others who are a bit more qualified.

I want a world in which people learn foreign languages to enhance their mind instead of their employment prospects.

I want a world in which no house is larger than 2000 sq. ft. because beyond that size limit happiness gives way to greed.

I want a world in which money isn’t funny.

I want a world in which sex is fun and has little commercial value.

I want a world in which most of the players in the NBA are white and most of the programmers at Microsoft and IBM are black.

I want a world in which every person gets the car that s/he has always wanted right out of high school and drives it until death.

I want a world in which people spend more time in cafés than in front of the TV and on the Internet.

I want a world in which people are more offended by weird death than weird sex.

I want a world in which the term Culture of Life means that no child lives on a diet of Dollar Meals because a dollar is all that is available.

I want a world in which birth control is in the water supply and you have to take a pill in order to have a child.

I want a world in which beating swords into ploughshares is a growth industry with investors lined up around the corner.

I want a world in which one's political affiliation is defined by thought rather than belief.

I want a world in which the Commonwealth is more prevalent than the Ownership Society.

I want a world in which every Wal-Mart has a carpeted kid's book section so that moms and dads can sit down with their kids and read to them before going to the DVD section to buy movies.

I want a world in which people eat more carrots than candy bars.

I want a world in which robots drive the UPS and FedEx trucks thus allowing the human drivers to go home and be paid to think big thoughts and create amazing paintings.

I want a world in which talk isn't cheap.

I want a world in which gay means happy and homosexuality is of no greater threat to society than an afternoon of college wrestling.

I want a world in which only dogs eat dog food.

I want a world in which justice really counts, regardless of newsworthiness.

I want a world in which we all just get along.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more with your sentiments.

Someday.

Maybe.

--
Scott
http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/

9:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want a world in which people are realists. In a world where there is anything of value, there will always be someone wanting more of it. Land has value, oil has value, controlling people has value.

You should be thanking Ronald Reagan for giving you the world you have now, a world that lets not only you but millions of others the freedom to express your idealism.

8:51 AM  
Blogger Bob Reselman said...

Ralph dude:

At least I know what I want. :>

There is another book in the queue. I have been working on the idea for about a year. It is a followup to Coding Slave.

At this point, it will take 3-6 months to write. I plan to explore marriage, race and acquisition.

I learned a lot from making Coding Slave. I defintely need to employ a good copy editor and proof reader. In addition, a professional "get it to market editor" will be good, someone who believes in the book, but really understands novel publishing.

I am looking for some production $$$$ or a publisher to help out.

If you like, consider this info the inside track.

11:42 AM  
Blogger Brian Dunbar said...

You might want more people in the Peace Corps that the Marine Corps but when it comes to shooting Black Hats you're gonna be glad there are more jarheads and fewer kids from Kentucky teaching Bangladeshis how to grow rice.

9:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy crap.

You must have read a lot of Karl Marx or something.

You need to realize, that if the world didn't need improving, you would be bored. So be glad that it's very screwed up.

That and try to want as few things as possible.

Just chill. :)

1:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home