Friday, February 18, 2005

Q: What is an effective, just political action?

A: Picking up the garbage.

I am beginning to get some new insight into an approach to politics that might be useful. I wonder if the notion of voting or expressing one preference for "who's gonna run the show" is of any real use. I think that universal civil service is the real answer. To my limited understanding of ancient Greece, all citizens (the non-slave, white guys with property) were required to participate in the administration of government, no matter how much of an inconvenience it was. I like the idea of the effective administration of democracy meaning that at some point all of us have to get in the garbage truck for a while and drive it around to pick up the refuse. If our civic leaders did more of this and less thinking up ways to bomb shit, the world would be a better place.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bob Reselman said...

There is a difference between serving out of a sense of duty as opposed to serving for financial compensation, I think.

Maybe it is time to terminiate the relationship between civic duty (civil service) and political power.

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home