Sunday, January 30, 2005

Q: Was it as good for you as it was for me?

A: Depends on how you define, good.

The other day I left a listserver community in a huff as a response to taking a few low blows from other list members that hit my ego and reputation. Upon reflection I understand that such strong responses were the result of ruthless self-promotion of this blog. (While it is true that there is no such thing as bad publicity true, I have come to learn there is such a thing as painful publicity.)

I figured that was the end of it.

Then, a surprising thing happened. Members of that community contacted me privately by email, asking/inviting me to come back. My feelings were akin to Sally Field’s acceptance speech at the 1985 Oscars, “You like me, you really like me!”

So I rejoined the list. Here is the text of first message that I sent since leaving:
---------------------

At this point, if I were to smoke, I would sit back, light up a cigarette, take 2 or 3 introspective drags and then ask:

“Was it as good for you as it was for me?”

I am deeply, deeply touched by each and every one of you who contacted me directly by email, offering support, guidance and inviting me back.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Bob

Oh, yes, just in case you want to know, one of my heroes is Mr. Rogers: He likes me just the way I am. And, I try always to emulate my heroes.

---------------------

From personal experience in Boy Scout camp I have observed what happens when you put 3 chipmunks in a cage. (Please see yesterday's post.) I wonder what happens when you put 4 chipmunks in a cage?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"From personal experience in Boy Scout camp I have observed what happens when you put 3 chipmunks in a cage."

Um. Why in the hell were you doing that at Boy Scout camp?

Weren't you supposed to be helping old chipmunks cross the street or something? Certainly not shaking them up and watching them go nuts...

- Rory

10:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home