Sunday, September 27, 2009

Q: What happens when you die?

A: Your Facebook page lives on

I did it. I created a Facebook site for myself. I uploaded my email contact list which Facebook used to automagically send out 'friend' invites. Then I started to look at my 'friends' lists, my 'friends' of a friend's list and so forth and so on through the network. Now some of my acquaintances are 'friends', some of my current friends are 'friends', some people from my past are 'friends' and I am sure a few Facebook impostors are my new 'friends' too. Who knows, maybe Donald Fagen will be a 'friend'. Maybe a 'friend' will offer to drive me to the airport or invite me over to dinner. Maybe a 'friend' will volunteer to look after my dog while I am on vacation.

I can only hope.

Don’t get me wrong; I am really hot on Facebook. I find the notion and technology compelling. Facebook is important. These guys got it right, for the most part. I mean jeepers, the increase in the sales of BlackBerry and iPhone units that result from 'friends' just having to see what's on their walls is going to be of significant consequence. Facebook is a great step forward in the ongoing transformation of human attention into real currency.

I am a little embarrassed to admit it, but I find my introduction to using Facebook to be very meaningful. I am sorta loathe to go with the crowd. But, a I said earlier, it's an important technology.

A photographer-person that I knew from college days took a lot of photos during that time and posted them on his Facebook site. I was in a few of the photos. These photos, coupled with the ones I discovered as I put my life together to present on Facebook, have allowed me to take an objective look at my life. Words really don’t describe that which the eyes in those photos reveal. So here is a sampling.










Oh yeah, my daughters have yet to accept my invitation to be a 'friend'.